12:40 A.M.
I'm writing this post from my brand new, beautiful MacBook. It was delivered on Wednesday. The delivery man rang the doorbell at 9 A.M. and I bolted out of bed to answer the door. I kind of just stared at it in awe, humming Yael Naim's "New Soul" to myself (like from the MacBook Air commercials). It was so white and pure looking when I took it out of the box. I think it's going to take me a while to get used to using a Mac vs. a PC (I hate MSN Messanger for Macs!), but it's so beautiful that I can't really complain.
After my last post, my boss actually sent out an e-mail reminding all the employees that only the cooks are allowed to cook in the kitchen... creepy! Speaking of the cooks, one of the cooks is going to call the French Consulate to try and persuade them to change my visa date. He is so good with people, so there is hope!
Today a middle-aged French woman came into the bistro and started talking in French with the cook. He told me later that when she saw me, she said "Tu travailles avec la chinoise?" ("You're working with the Chinese girl?") in a derogatory way. I get asked about my ethnicity a lot, but I rarely experience even mild forms of racism, coming from a town full of Asian people. I think she was mostly jealous that 1. I was working with the cook, cause it was pretty obvious that she was hitting on him ("Do you have a girlfriend here? Women in the U.S. don't fuck on the first date."), and 2. I have a job at the bistro (she mentioned how she wanted to work here). God forbid they hire Asian people! I wonder if she knows that one of the owners is a Chinese woman who doesn't speak French.
So now I'm gonna forget about this crazy lady by starting on September's issue of Vogue with my girl Keira Knightley on the cover (I loooove her). This issue is huge, it weighs more than my Mac, which makes it over five pounds.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment