Thursday, June 4, 2009

Harry Potter et les Reliques de la Mort

12:55 A.M.

Am reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in French and it's taking some getting used to. A lot of the characters' names are different and even some of the wizard vocabulary (such as 'muggle' and 'Ministry of Magic'). Some words are translated directly from English and some just come out of no where. For example:

Hogwarts - Poudlard
Severus Snape - Severus Rogue
Draco Malfoy - Drago Malefoy
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named - Celui-Dont-On-Ne-Doit-Pas-Prononcer-Le-Nom
Hedwig - Hedwige
Muggle - Moldu
Mudblood - Sang-de-Bourbe (literally 'blood of mud')
Death Eaters - Mangemorts
Ministry of Magic - Magenmagot

And I'm only on page 32. I'm pretty sure the name 'Voldemort' is French, as in Vol-de-mort, or 'flight of death'.

Yay, can't wait for July 15 when the Half Blood Prince comes out. I should be in Norway or Sweden by then, but I will still be in line to watch it the day it comes out!

P.S. - Cannot stand bitchy stare from the saleswoman at Galleries Lafayette. I was just sitting on the couch waiting for my watch to be fixed when she walked past me and gave me the evil eye. Whatever, I still smiled and said, "Bonjour" cause I am a CIVIL PERSON.

1 comment:

MilkJam said...

it could also be "vol de mort" as in "death stealer"...