I'm up late as usual. My sleeping schedule has been crazy these past few days what with the Nuit Blanche, staying out late, drinking, etc... I always think I'm young and invincible, but of course now I am coming down with something the week I start teaching.
On Friday, I went to go check out one of my schools. I have to take the bus to all 3 of them, but at least they are all on the same bus line. I'm already stressed out over the idea of teaching, since I'm hardly qualified, and actually seeing the teachers and students only created more stress for me. They were very cute when I was walking through the halls and in the classrooms, but I'm trying not to be fooled by their sweet facades. When I stood in the corridor, they would walk by their classroom doors to smile at me. When I walked into their classroom, the teacher said, "Say hello to your English teacher" and they all said, "Bonjour!" in excited little voices. I have 4 classes twice a week at this school with almost 30 kids in each class. When the teachers saw my schedule, they all wished me good luck. How encouraging of them! But the secretary promised that the teachers will stay in the classroom with me, like they're supposed to. We'll see about that...
Friday night was la Nuit Blanche, the first one ever in Metz. Most of the projects were not all that impressive, they were a little too deep and artsy for me (think skinny French guy wearing red tights and a cape, singing a bunch English curse words in a very high pitched voice). But it was interesting to walk through the Hotel de Ville and the up and coming Centre Georges Pompidou. I met up with the 2 other Americans and 3 Germans at a bar where Cyril's band was playing that night. Later we walked around the entire city (that makes 2 times already) and stopped for more drinks. Cyril met up with us afterwards and showed me and Taylor the best kebab spot in Metz at 3 A.M. since we were the last ones still standing.
On Saturday, Cyril took me and the Americans shopping for housewares outside of Metz and invited us to have dinner at his place with some friends. He made enchiladas, which makes it the first time I've ever had Mexican food in France (although he and his friends claim that there are Mexican restaurants all over France). It's nice to meet French people who are warm, funny and totally not the arrogant French stereotype. It gives me hope for when I'm walking down the street and almost everyone has a frown on their face or when I'm battling againt the French administration and all they can do is sigh out of displeasure... Again, I didn't make it home until 3 A.M., which is probably why I woke up this morning feeling like crap. Staying out late, drinking like a fish, and smoking hookah is not the best recipe for good health. I spent most of this lazy afternoon working on my CAF paperwork and catching up on the news from home. Later, the assistants and Cyril came over for some amazing moules frites, which my roomie Vanessa made.
I'm really not ready for a long week, I wish the weekend could last forever! I have to go to 2 more schools today to make my schedule and do some observations. I start teaching Thursday, which is scary enough to think about. I always tend to stress out a lot before I start a new job, it's really exhausting. So instead, I will sleep.

View of Metz from the bureau of our responsable.

During la Nuit Blanche

Inside l'Hotel de Ville

At Bar a la lune: 2 Frenchies, 1 Chinese, 3 Americans, and 3 Germans
No comments:
Post a Comment