Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fdskthgk

11:27 P.M.

"My eyes burn, everybody smokes
my eyes burn, everybody smokes
I smoke too, but not as much as you
I do the smoke detector"
- Rilo Kiley, "Smoke Detector"

This week seemed to last forever. The kids learned the ABC's, 123's, and how to pronounce "th" which they pronounce as either "f" or "t". I went to a France vs. Germany football (soccer) match on Wednesday night. The game was quite uneventful, but Germany finally scored in the last few minutes and won. On Friday, Cyril's parents invited me, Kathy, and Taylor over for dinner where we had raclette (melted cheese over potatos and charcuterie) and lots more alcohol. I will say that it is strange taking shots of vodka, having the Asian glow, and listening to "Folsom Prison Blues" in front of your friend's parents...

On Saturday night, some of my roomie's friends came over and we had fondu (more cheese, surprise, surprise), potatos, and bread. Then someone made "mojitos" in a giant plastic bottle (which was really just lemonade, vodka, and lime) that we drank while walking around the city. I guess it was some kind of student party weekend and we were supposed to go to some electronica concert, but we never made it and ended up sitting next to a fountain. It was freezing cold, but around 2:30 A.M., I got the best kebab frites and all was good. Two of my roomie's friends slept over and we had a late post-drunken night "brunch" this morning.

I took it easy for today and just cleaned the house and planned my lessons for tomorrow. I hung out with my roomie and two of her friends, but they were speaking in such rapid fire French that I just kind of sat there, too stunned to speak. I'm at the point where I can understand almost every word in the sentence, except for the one or two key words needed in order to understand what they are trying to say. For example:
"
She's only two years old, but she can ewlkqjfsoaf. She loves to eat rfdlkfje, it's so cute. When my brother saw her, he told me, 'You're so aewkjflekjo,' but I told him 'xqyeori'."
I thought she was talking about her niece or something, but she was actually talking about her pet chinchilla. Huh.

5 more days to go (only 4 of which I am teaching) until a week and a half of Toussaints vacation! On Saturday, I'm flying from Paris to Toulouse to see Laurent. I also got my medical visit date, which is the same day I was planning on coming back. Now I have to change all my plane/train tickets for a day earlier because if I don't take this date, I might not get another one for a long time, meaning I wouldn't get my carte de sejour for a while either. The French red tape strikes again.


France vs. Germany

So patriotic

"Mojito" in a bottle. Classy!

No comments: