Friday, June 6, 2008

La berlue

6:10 P.M.

Today was my last day of class in my college career. I felt equal parts of relief and sadness, but mostly it didn't feel all that different from any other school day. The class was Civilisation Francaise and the best part was there was food! Yum, cheese and cherries (not together). A guest speaker came in, who was the husband of my professor's friend, and he seemed so typically French, with the sandals and longish hair and "euh.."'s. He reminded me of my choir friend, Arnaud, from when I was in Lyon (hmm.. wonder what happened to him..?)

Only 3 more papers and one final to go until I am officially done with school!
But for now I am procrastinating and enjoying the day by drinking some green tea and listening to Francoise Hardy.

I read the NY Times article on Yves Saint Laurent's funeral. Pierre Bergé's eulogy almost brought a tear to my eye (his companion and business partner):

"It’s going to be necessary to part now,” Mr. Bergé said, addressing his friend in the coffin. “I don’t know how to do it because I never would have left you. Have we ever left each other before? Even if I know that we will no longer share a surge of emotion before a painting or a work of art.”Mr. Bergé’s voice broke. “But I also know that I will never forget what I owe you, and that one day I will join you under the Moroccan palms."

No comments: