5:27 P.M.
It's been 2 days since the Inauguration, but I'm still feeling as proud of our country as the moment I was watching Obama being sworn in. Teachers have been asking me about it during our 15 minute breaks and even the kids got all squirmy with excitement when I explained to them the significance of his presidency. I would have loved to experience it all in the U.S. with my friends and fellow Americans, but instead I watched the Inauguration Day festivities on my laptop (TV is still broken, ugh!) with my German room mate for a good 7 hours, despite the fact that my eyes were aching and I was exhausted. It's an incredible feeling knowing that you're witnessing history take place along with millions of people. And I'm so excited to be alive at a time like this. It's going to be one of those "Where were you when Obama was elected/inaugurated?" moments.
I was surprised at the French coverage of the Inauguration. It was all over the radio, newspaper headlines, French TV, everywhere. And the ceremony was on live TV, which I highly doubt was the case for Bush. In the newspaper, they even translated the oath and gave an detailed explanation of his schedule for the day. Suddenly it seems as if the American image in France has gotten a makeover (or relooking as they say here). I don't have to worry about going to parties and drunkenly trying to defend myself from negative generalizations and stereotypes of Americans created by having a shit president. Plus, I can tell all the Frenchies that our Bush era is over, but they're still stuck with Sarkozy, teehee!
WE DID IT! :)
PS - I made 3 kids cry in one of my CE2 classes today.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment